I recently received an email from one of my blog readers, Kara Butterfield, and she introduced me to a charity that she and her sister Tahnya are very involved with. It's a non-profit charity called The Progressive Women's Association. This organization works voluntarily to "Stop Violence Against Women in Pakistan." Thousands of women and young girls are beaten, raped, severely disfigured, burned alive...most of the time, by family members or by their husbands. Discriminatory laws combined with harmful customary laws and practices deny women their human rights in Pakistan. Women are considered second class citizens.
- To advocate for women's rights violations
- To fight discriminatory laws against women
- To provide and encourage political empowerment for women
- To expose hidden domestic violence against women
- To evolve strategies for the empowerment of women