A little piece of the interview from House Beautiful:
HB: You're a standard-bearer for unimpeachably chic design. You're also irrepressibly playful. How do you combine these aspects?
JONATHAN ADLER: I think a room should be 95 percent chic. There needs to be a solid foundation of good design, functionality, and harmony. Then you have the remaining 5 percent to layer on a playful vibe. If a room is merely playful it's usually wildly unchic. Conversely, if it's too chic it's dry and off-putting. I try to strike the perfect balance of chic and cheeky — an inclusive, unsnobby sort of buoyant spirit.